CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 23, 2011

Ruffled Headband Tutorial

My sister-in-law sent me this awesome ruffled headband one year for my birthday. I have two sister-in-laws who are super crafty and have a fun blog Elle Michelle and Eliza Belle. I loved this ruffled headband so much I had to make a few more and came up with this fun tutorial. 

Supplies:
Ribbon
 (the same kind in 2 different sizes, I used 1 1/2 and 7/8
or 
you can buy some ribbon that's already ruffled, this saves you some time)
iron
sewing machine
matching thread
headbands
felt
hot glue gun
Fray Check


Step #1. Ruffle the ribbon. I slowly ruffle the ribbon and iron the heck out of it as you go. Some people like to pin it, but that never seemed to work for me. If you iron it well enough it's easy to put the ruffles back in place as you sew it. Repeat with the smaller sized ribbon also.



Step #2. Sew the Ruffled Ribbon. Use matching thread and sew a simple straight stitch down the center of the ribbon. Like I mentioned before, I don't mind if the ruffle comes undone. I simply ruffle it as I feed it through the machine. Repeat with the smaller sized ribbon also, so both sizes of ribbon are ruffled and sewn.




Step #3. Glue Ribbon to Headband. You'll only need enough ribbon to cover half the headband, which will give it a fun vintage look. Cut the ribbon to the size you want and glue it to the headband. Make sure to glue the larger ribbon on the bottom and the smaller ribbon on top.


Next, glue a piece of felt to the back. This will cover any hot glue mess and will also help hold the ribbon onto the headband.

Next, you'll glue the smaller ribbon right on top of the larger ribbon.

Once you have both ribbons glued on, add a little Fray Check to the raw edges of the ribbon to prevent fraying. (As you can see in this picture, I like to cut the one end that will go by your ear on a slight diagonal, the other end I just cut straight.)

And, just like that, you're done!!!


0 comments: